Meenakshi Lekhi was born on 30-04-1967 in New Delhi, India. She is an Indian Politician and Spokesperson who belongs to BJP.
MEENAKSHI LEKHI BIO/WIKI
|Famous For||Being the national spokesperson of BJP|
|Date of Birth||30 April 1967|
|Age (as in 2019)||52 Years|
|Birth Place||New Delhi, India|
|Home town||New Delhi, India|
|Parents/ Father||Bhagwan Khanna|
You may also like
- Narendra Modi Biography
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee Biography
- Jawed Habib Biography
- Daler Mehndi Biography
- Varun Gandhi Biography
MEENAKSHI LEKHI POLITICS
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)|
|Political Journey|| 2010: National Vice President of BJP Mahila Morcha|
2014: Elected to the 16th Lok Sabha
2014: Member of House Committee
2016: Chairperson of Committee on Privileges
2017: Member of Press Council of India
2019: Elected to the 17th Lok Sabha from New Delhi
|Awards||Lokmat Parliamentary Award for ‘Best Debut Woman |
Parliamentarian’ in Year-(2017)
|College/ University||Hindu College, Delhi University|
Campus Law Centre-I
|LLB from Campus Law Centre-I, Delhi University|
|Address||C-98A, South Extension, Part-II, New Delhi-110049|
|Car||Jaguar XJ, BMW (Z4), and New Beetle|
|Controversies||1), Meenakshi faced severe criticism when she revealed the name of the victim in the Tarun Tejpal rape case through a tweet. However, she later told that the tweet was not done by her but someone else has misused her phone to do so.|
2), She attracted controversy for driving a jeep herself without putting on the seat belt while she went to file her nomination for the elections.
3), Lekhi again fell into a controversy over her sexist slandering of Ishrat Jahan on television. Later, many women signed a letter and sent it to the National Commission for women asking Lekhi to apologize for her comments.
4), In 2015, Lekhi got into a war of words with the actress Dia Mirza after she gave her support to RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on his remarks about Mother Teresa. Lekhi claimed Mother Teresa revealed during an interview that her job was to bring people to the fold of Christianity. Dia Mirza whose father was a Catholic slammed Lekhi for her remarks.
5), On 12 April 2009, Meenakshi filed a petition against Rahul Gandhi alleging that Rahul has
committed contempt by using the phrase
“Chowkidar Chor Hai” against Narendra Modi on
the Rafale controversy.
|Marriage Date||11 April 1992|
|Husband/Spouse||Aman Lekhi, Additional Solicitor and General of the Supreme Court|
|Children||Daughter- Not Known |
Son- Anirudh Nath Lekhi, Pranay Lekhi
INR 7 crore
Gold 1170 gm; worth INR 32 lakh
Polki 390gm; worth INR 13 lakh
Property worth INR 27.9 crore
(as the MP of New Delhi)
|INR 1 lakh/month + Other Allowances|
|Networth (approx.)||INR 34 crore|
|Height (approx.)||In Centimeters- 163 cm|
In Meters- 1.63 m
In Feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||In kilograms-70 kg|
In pounds-154 lbs
MEENAKSHI LEKHI FAVORITES
|Favorite food||Not Known|
|Favorite Song||Not Known|
|Favorite Actor||Not Known|
|Favorite Actress||Not Known|
|Favorite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Favorite Cricket Player||Gautam Gambhir|
|Favorite Movie||Not Known|
|Favorite Colour||White, Pink|
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
UNKNOWN FACTS ABOUT MEENAKSHI LEKHI
- Does Meenakshi Lekhi Drink Alcohol?: Yes
- Does Meenakshi Lekhi Smoke?: Not Known
- Meenakshi is the Member of Parliament from the New Delhi Constituency in the 16th Lok Sabha.
- Lekhi’s father-in-law, Pran Nath Lekhi, was a leading Supreme Court lawyer who was best known for handling the case of Satwant Singh, the murderer of Zahira Sheikh, and Indira Gandhi. Satwant Singh was also the culprit of the Gujarat riots in 2002.
- After completing a degree in Law, Meenakshi registered herself with the Delhi-Bar Council in 1990.
- Lekhi has practiced in courts like tribunals, Delhi High Court, Supreme Court, and several other courts.
- She has handled cases relating to women like issues involving Domestic Violence, family law disputes, and issues related to the permanent commission of the lady officers in the armed forces.
- She has been a member of Drafting Committees for the bills including “Women’s Reservation Bill” and “Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace Bill.”
- In 2010, Lekhi became the National Vice President of the ‘Bharatiya Janata Party’ Mahila Morcha.
- In 2014, Meenakshi contested in the 16th Lok Sabha Elections from the New Delhi Constituency. She won with a margin of 2.7 lakh votes against the incumbent Ajay Maken.
- In 2017, Lekhi demanded strict punishment for leaders supporting the Tripple Talaq during a discussion on the Triple Talaq Bill in the Parliament.
- Meenakshi is an active member of the parliament with an overall attendance of around 95% in the 2019 session.
- She was involved in the alteration of Dalhousie Road in New Delhi to Dara Shikoh Road. She was also a part of the team that decided to change the name of the Race Course Road (the Delhi road adjacent to the Indian Prime Minister’s residence) to Lok Kalyan Marg.
- Lekhi has topped the list in terms of using the funds of the MPLAD among the other MPs of Delhi. She used around 50% of the funds released by the government in the first year of her term.
- Apart from being a politician and a lawyer, Lekhi is also a social activist. She has been working for the protection of women and child rights in India by joining hands with institutions like Sakshi, National Commission for Women, and NIPCD.